Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

The Future

When I think of what the future holds for education, I am realizing quickly that my views have changed a lot in the last couple of months. Maybe it is being "forced" to learn about new technology through Internet for Educators, or maybe it is that I am realizing that things are not the same as when I was in school to a greater extent than I ever thought was possible. At first I was completely terrified of all of the changes and how I was going to keep up, then I realized I was not alone and the reality is there is no way of truly keeping up. All I can do is try to continually expand my learning in order to provide the 21st century learners with the best education possible.
Although there are different areas that are changing with education, I think that the majority of change is focused around technology and how it is being infused in the classroom. One aspect of this change that really scares me is that all teachers are going to implement technology in different ways and at different levels. I used to think that meeting the outcomes was so important (and believe me, I still do) but I am quickly realizing that teaching in a way that connects to the students (with technology being the way that they are most connected) is probably more important than the curriculum itself. If the students are connected, they will be engaged and will absorb what is being taught. If they are disconnected, the teacher has no chance! Through what I have learnt in Internet for Ed, and the amazing information I was able to gain at BYTE, I understand more so than ever that technology is quickly becoming the cornerstone for education when engaging today's students is involved. Roy Norris from Dakota Collegiate made a point that struck loud and clear with me. He was talking about how most students today spend every waking moment on a device. Then they get to the classroom and we demand that they shut all devices off. If we want to connect with them, on their level, we need to use the tools that they are using in a way that benefits their learning. The concern that I have is that all teachers are at different levels of acceptance of technology in their classroom as well as being at different comfort levels in using the different forms of technology. How will teaching and learning be somewhat consistent from one teacher and classroom to another. There are so many different variables and aspects to infusing technology into the classroom that I am excited and frightened at the same time to see where the future of education goes in this regard.
Looking at the Horizon Report, I was even more amazed at the ways that technology is being brought into the classroom. There are so many different tools that are being implemented and introduced into the classroom that there is an opportunity for everyone to use something that suits their learning style. One aspect of a report that jumped out at me was game consoles being used as a teaching tool. I suppose I had never considered using gaming in the classroom, but it is another form of technology and would definitely get the attention of many students. I wonder, however if parents would be at all accepting of gaming being used in the classroom. Along with resistance from administration and teachers, I think infusing technology in the classroom will be challenged by many parents and provide many intense conversations in the years to come.
The other point that I thought about when reading through the Horizon Report was the possibility of too much technology in the classroom. What does a teacher choose to use? When does it become too much and overwhelming for the students? I think these are questions that may be presented in the future and it may also be a fine line for teachers to navigate to find the answer. I really think that each classroom and each teacher will be unique and there will never be a right or wrong answer.
When it comes to the future of education, I know there are many changes (some of them huge) that will take place. Like anything, I know it will take time. Time to implement. Time to try. Time to make mistakes. Time to fix mistakes. Most important of all, time to see amazing benefits. I am excited to be part of the future of education. Even though there are bound to be some bumpy spots ahead I think the benefits for the 21st century learner is going to be more than we can imagine!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Erin! I agree with Roy Norris' ideas about accepting technology and devices in the classroom. It has almost come to the point that instead of "allowing" devices, educators should be "encouraging" it. We know students are engaged in their personal devices and if it is possible to use these as resources to activate learning - then we are crazy not to do exactly that. Finding the line between incorporating technology and using too much technology also lingers in my mind. With much experience and taking advantage of present educators advice, hopefully we will find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting thoughts! I like your point about classes and teachers being unique. We will all incorporate technology in ways that make sense for our classes, and I think we all agree that ignoring tech and developments will not beneffit us or provide the best learning experience for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Erin! I completely agree and think that two important points to be made are 1) how much technology is TOO much, and 2) if we aren't keeping up with technology, how will our students keep up with us and stay engaged? Great questions and definitely got me thinking! Hopefully it will just come naturally and we will be able to get a feel from our students of their needs/wants once we have our own classroom!

    ReplyDelete