Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Infographics!

When I first heard the word infographics I thought "Oh No, another technology term I have never heard of and know nothing about!" Then I got looking into infographics and realized that I knew exactly what they were (who knew!). Being an avid pinterest user, I have seen infographics many times, but never considered them a specific tool.

Having had the opportunity to make my own infographic and consider the design and details that go into one, I have a greater appreciation for the infographics that I have been glancing over in the past. I will admit that my infographic took me quite a while to put together (around 2.5 hours) but for the average person I am sure it would be a lot faster! Here is a link to my infographic.
http://infogr.am/Research-Supporting----BYOD-in-the-Classroom/

I think that infographics are a great tool in general, but especially for the classroom. While doing our BYOD presentation for class, I was struggling with how to present my section on statistics. I had no idea how to show the information in an interesting way. . . who wants to read a list of statistics on a slide? By putting all of the information into one infographic, I was able present it in a visually pleasing fashion and divide the information into sections that were easy to read and understand. By doing this project, I can see the benefits of using infographics in the classroom. A lot of students learn easier when there are visual aids, infographics would assist in this area. However, I don't think that infographics are a tool that should only be used by a teacher, they would also be a great tool for the students. Infographics would provide a different platform for students to present a research project while bringing technology into the classroom in another form.
These are a couple of infographics that I found that I think would be great to use in the classroom!
http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/01/30-dr-seuss-quotes-every-teacher-should.html
http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/01/15-must-know-grammar-mistakes.html

6 comments:

  1. I love your infographic Erin, and I am very impressed with the time you took to research it!! I think you are absolutely right; infographics are a great tool that students can use to present their research findings. The look of them is so much more pleasing than a bar or pie graph (boring!!). I think students would put more effort into it as well because it is so different and because you can create a visually pleasing graphic. Thanks again for the links, you are definitely great at sharing your resource finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I think students would really enjoy them too. I am scared to know how fast they could do the same one. . . I still have lots to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The infographics you found are awesome! I love the Grammar one!! Great job on the infographic you created - especially because I know how long it took you! You deserve some credit! They really are useful for this type of information. How cool would a classroom bulletin board or TV Slideshow look to have these creations displayed, showcasing your students art and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think they are a great visual for the classroom as well. A neat way to concentrate a lot of information in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, nice job on the infographic! I am so envious; I just tried using infogr.am for about an hour... And I couldn't get any of my charts to work! Grrr I was getting too frustrated to go on. I love yours; very visually appealing, and informative! Like you I had never considered infographics to be a specific tool. But they really are excellent, great to use in the classroom. I always find visual aids such as these a nice change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrienne, I totally understand your frustration. . . my infographic did not come easy for me! Hang in there and go back to it tomorrow. . . it will all come together :)

    ReplyDelete