Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Never Enough Information

I really enjoyed today's Internet for Educators class. It was a break from the "norm" as we didn't have a guest speaker and we were just able to spend some time listening and sharing about ideas and techniques. I love that this class gives us the opportunity to experiment. We are presented with so many tools that are available to us, but it is our choice to try the ones we want and keep the ones we love.
Today I was introduced to Google+. I never knew this aspect of google existed but I can see some really neat uses for it, especially if I am teaching in a late middle years class. I love how you can make different circles and as a result target different groups with emails and messages. I think this would be really time saving when sending something out to an entire class. I also like the "Skype" type features of Google+. It would allow kids access to connect from home without having to pay fees that may be present with Skype.
Another part of today's class that I thought was very beneficial was the discussion around videos. I am excited to try both crash course on YouTube as well as edutube.com for ideas to incorporate into lessons.
Googlfight was a great way to start the class. . . something that I am sure any middle years student would love to play with at some point! Definitely a keeper on my list!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erin, great scoop on Google+ I am also a big fan of pretty much anything Google made, which is always free. Have you every explored the 'more...' section of Google? Google has a photo organizer called Picasa. Even better is a 3D modeling program that is FREE to download and easy to use called SketchUp! Goooooo Google!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I will have to take a look into all of those tools and give them a try. That is the best part about this class. . . learning what tools are out there and knowing where to find them so that we can make use of the best resources for ourselves & our students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never hurts to have time to sit down and play. How else will we really know which sites or applications will actually be of benefit to us?
    PS. Thanks for reminding me about GoogleFight... That's all I've been doing for the last 10 minutes now!

    ReplyDelete