Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Incorporating Videos in the Classroom

I have really started thinking in terms of how to incorporate technology into every lesson that I do and I think that videos in general are a great place to start! Kids of all ages love to watch a little video clip and if it somehow relates to them and the lesson that is being taught it is a great way to peak their interest and activate their learning. When looking for videos, I always gravitated to YouTube as that is all that I was really familiar with. Having listened to others talk in class, as well as seeing what is popping up on my Twitter feed, TEDEd really caught my eye. I really like that I can search by different series or subject matter and the videos are focused on education. I am excited to play around with this site a lot more as it gives me the tools to edit and arrange videos the way that I want so that I can customize them for my own lesson! The site also provides additional resources that I can access to enhance your lesson and take some stress out of planning (who doesn't like that!).
Two selections from TEDEd that I really like and can see myself using in the classroom are:
(Video) A glimpse of teenage life in ancient Rome http://ed.ted.com/lessons/a-glimpse-of-teenage-life-in-ancient-rome-ray-laurence
(Series) Awesome Nature http://ed.ted.com/series#/awesome-nature

2 comments:

  1. I too have always gravitated toward YouTube, partly due to not knowing what else was out there and I agree that TEDEd is a great resource for the classroom! I actually watched the "a glimpse of teenage life in ancient Rome" you posted and loved it! The video wasn't too long and it was presented in such a fun way! Thanks for the post Erin!

    ReplyDelete