Pages

Sunday 27 January 2013

SMARTer with Technology 2. . . An Amazing PD!

Last fall I thought that I should probably take a technology PD so that I would at least have a basic understanding of how to use a smartboard. I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of information presented, but also so thankful that I was able to take in the full day session with Devon Caldwell. When I saw that part 2 of the PD was being offered this semester, I decided I should try and expand on the knowledge I had already gained. . . not knowing how much information I would take away from a short one day session!
Devon is a kindergarten teacher in Oak Lake and is doing absolutely incredible things in her class with technology! I am simply amazed and inspired at how she infuses technology into her classroom on a daily basis. She shared some of the many ways that she infuses technology; from attendance, rules & routines, calendar and centres to amazing contests and projects that she does with her kindergarten class. She recently won a trip to Prague with Microsoft because of a contest that her classroom won. Being shown how she incorporates technology and the time that it saves her is a motivation to continue learning and expanding my education in technology in order to be able to infuse it seamlessly into my own classroom. Seeing the respect her kids have for her and how their education is enriched because of technology is priceless.
Devon's session expanded on some of the areas that are being focused on in Internet for Educators. I was very thankful for this as any additional help in the area of technology is a bonus for me! I also find that having something explained a different way, by a different person sometimes puts a new spin on a concept. With some background knowledge, things often come together more smoothly. Devon talked about infusing twitter, facebook and blogs into the classroom and shared her personal experiences and successes with them. She walked us through Hootsuite (which I am now a huge fan of!) and got me started on using Diigo (which I am still attempting to set up. . . but am at least one step closer!).
Some of the other tools that Devon showed us were how to use Animoto and Audacity. While I am no where near being able to put something together on these sites, just understanding what they do and the basics of how they work is encouraging. Like with most technology, I appreciate being shown the basics so that I have a simple understanding of where to go and what to do and then going back in my own time and playing with the program (usually for hours) until I get to where I need to be. Technology is truly a hands on learning experience for me!
Another area that Devon touched on was the Creative Commons. I think this will be very beneficial to me when I am teaching. Knowing that there is a place to go that has copyright free music and images that I can use is important to me, as well as to teach the students.
One great site that Devon pointed us towards was a Microsoft site that is free for educators (although very few have signed up). By visiting www.pil-network.com and joining as an educator, you receive amazing tools and resources through Microsoft's Partners in Learning!
I have only mentioned a small portion of what Devon shared with us, but I am so thankful for all the information that was presented! I can't wait to start using more of the technology that she shared as I know that it will make my work as a teacher more connected with my students. I highly recommend a PD with Devon if you ever have the opportunity, her knowledge is incrediable!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Erin! I went to her first PD as well and was disappointed that I did't get to her second one- she is a smart gal! Thanks for sharing the link to Partners in Learning and for commenting on a few other things that we can check out too! You're right- sometimes just knowing that they are out there is just what you need to get exploring on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micki, I maybe should have put it in my post, but if you go to her blog she has the pd session outline on there and there are a lot of links.
    http://kinderdiva.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete