Pages

Friday 18 January 2013

Skype with Dean Shareski

Dean opened my eyes and my mind to the way that I should be looking at the internet and all that it has to offer, especially as an educator. When Dean talked about using the internet for sharing and how important it is, he struck a cord with me. While listening to him, I realized how I am not using the internet in the capacity that I should be. There are so many people willing to share so much information on the internet and all I have to do is look for it. I have always been a person that likes to talk face to face with others, but need to open myself up to making connections with people that I do not know through the internet. If I am willing to be open and communicate with those that have knowledge and expertise in the areas that I do not, I will be able to tap into their expertise at the click of a button! I know that this may not seem like a new and ground breaking idea for some, but for me, it was an eye opener to have it presented this way. I have not used the internet as a resource in this capacity before. I need to do a bit of work on understanding how to find resources and people on the internet, but just knowing that the resources are out there encourages me to look.
Another key point that Dean made was the idea of giving and taking. We need to give back to the online community. Even though something may seem obvious to us, it may not be obvious to others. This is very easy for me to grasp, although I have never looked at the internet in this way before. Because I feel like I have so much to learn, I know that I can not be the only one that feels that way. As a result, maybe I have something to share that will be of benefit to someone else. Giving back to the online community is just as important to giving back to my local community.
I know that this course will be full of baby steps for me, but I am excited to take those steps. I know that by opening myself up to learning what the internet has to offer and the resources that there are to gain and share, I will only become a more educated and well rounded teacher, benefiting not only my students but myself!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blogger Erin! There were a number of things that Dean said that spoke to me as well. I am new at this whole technology thing and I will be taking baby steps as well. The nice thing about this class is that there are a number of people just like you and I. We are not alone! It will be a safe environment as we learn and grow in our knowledge of technology. I truly believe it will be a great experience for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin these are great reflections and thoughts. The online world is part of our real world. I met many wonderful people - like Dean - first online, then later face to face. I agree that face to face adds something, but online is just as real. I am glad you are taking this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Lisa, it is nice to know that we are not in this alone! I am really looking forward to the rest of the semester. I know that I have so much to learn and this seems like the perfect place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding people on the internet can be hard. We've all been warned about chat rooms...
    Yet, this class gives us a head start. We are all together now and will be working together for a couple months, but then we'll spread out in search of jobs. The skills, tools and habits we form in this class will enable us to continue to work together and support each other long after this course is over.

    ReplyDelete